Help I'm trapped in 2005!

Help I'm trapped in 2005!

Vidja Games — Page [1]
aaronjer
*****'n Admin

Comrade General 5-Star
2005 Mar 21 • 5217
1,227 ₧
ARGH! I go 11 months without checking what's new in hardware and now I have NO idea what 90% of the terminology means! This sucks!
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 5 at 23:28 UTC
SuperJer
Websiteman

2005 Mar 21 • 6807
Some help

RAM
SDRAM - standard old-timey memory
SD - secure digital card, technically RAM, but don't try to plug it into your mobo
DDR SDRAM - double data rate RAM, it's technically not double rate
EXDR RAM - Exchange data rate RAM, stores currency exchange rates only
FDR RAM - Frank D. Roosevelt's RAM

CPUs
Intel Pentium 4 - the latest in processors with a "4" in the name
Intel Xeon - for servers only, and waitresses
Intel Freon - runs cool but causes pollution
AMD Athlon 64 - runs all the amazing, beautiful 64-bit apps that don't exist
AMD Athlon 69 - runs all the ... heheh... HEEEHEHEEHEE!!
AMD Athlon X - mysterious but undoubtedly the best you can buy (note the X)

GPUs
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 - Awesome
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 - OK
NVIDIA GeForce <6800 - Shit
ATI Radeon X{four digits} - Awesome
ATI Radeon X{three digits} - Shit

Mobo expansion slots for GPU
PCIe 16 or PCI Express x16 - YES!
PCIe 16 or PCI Express x4 - NO!
PCIe 16 or PCI Express x1 - NOOOO!
AGP - No.
PCI - NO.
ISO - Good Lord!

PPUs
You need one of these or your games won't have physics. I think.
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 6 at 19:04 UTC — Ed. 2006 Nov 7 at 18:55 UTC
aaronjer
*****'n Admin

Comrade General 5-Star
2005 Mar 21 • 5217
1,227 ₧
Well, I knew the graphics card part. I don't think there even are 4x PCIe cards are there? I heard there was a 1x one... like... what's the point?

Also... that's all the generic info... but what about graphics card specifics? There are about 400 PCIe 16x cards that cost around 100-150 bucks... and they all have a big long list of things they have in various numbers and lots of yes/no questions... and I only know what like 3 of them mean. We're gonna have to look at the Newegg together and you can tell me what is probably more important. We can also hold hands.
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 6 at 23:34 UTC
molkman
Owner of George Washington's Prototype Mittens

Marine Warfare Corporal
Find the Hole Participation Medal
Find the Hole II Participation Medal
Tasty Br�twurst Medal
2005 May 2 • 2066
404 ₧
"superjer" said:
PPUs
You need one of these or your games won't have physics. I think.


I thought they'd carry out all the physics stuff, so your game runs faster, because the CPU doesn't have to calculate physic stuff. Plus it adds bonus physics.
LET LOVE REIGN
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 7 at 15:44 UTC
NatureJay
SJA: Commander of Ruthless Abuse

Good Conduct Medal
2005 Mar 23 • 1871
574 ₧
Bonus physics?

You mean if I collect all the rings, kill all the zombies, save all the children, and categorize all the stars, it'll unlock a bonus stage where I can collect even more physics and rack up awesome points?...

OW! Where are you finding all these bricks to throw at me!?
100% natural, no antibiotics, and bloodgrass-fed
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 7 at 18:08 UTC
SuperJer
Websiteman

2005 Mar 21 • 6807
I really thought things like FDR RAM would give away that my post was a complete joke.


I guess not. :/
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 7 at 18:53 UTC
molkman
Owner of George Washington's Prototype Mittens

Marine Warfare Corporal
Find the Hole Participation Medal
Find the Hole II Participation Medal
Tasty Br�twurst Medal
2005 May 2 • 2066
404 ₧
some names are fake, but some are real, aren't they?

What about the new Intel Dual Whore?
LET LOVE REIGN
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 7 at 19:04 UTC
SuperJer
Websiteman

2005 Mar 21 • 6807
AARONJER I FOUND YOUR COMPUTER (~ $600)

Proc = Dual core AMD socket AM2 w/ 2MB cache
Vid = Radeon X1650 PRO 512MB PCIexpress x16
Mem = GeIL (GeIL rocks!) 1GB DDR2 RAM (mobo has room for 3 more, too)
Mobo = apparently the best cheap socket AM2 mobo you can get
Box = A very-popular (on newegg) ATX case w/ 400w power

You will have to cannibalize the rest. At least temporarily. I think you already have a bad ass HDD.

Here's the full info from newegg with ITEM CODES:

Case + Power Supply
Rosewill TU-153 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case + 400W(20+4 pin)
Model #: TU-153
Item #: N82E16811147011
$44.99

Mobo
BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD
Model #: TFORCE 550
Item #: N82E16813138026
$79.99

Video
ATI 100-437808 Radeon X1650PRO 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16
Model #: 100-437808
Item #: N82E16814195030
$209.99

Memory
GeIL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Memory
Model #: GX21GB5300PLXAM
Item #: N82E16820144038
$95.99

CPU + Heatsink + Fan
AMD Opteron 1210 Santa Ana 1.8GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor
Model #: OSA1210CSBOX
Item #: N82E16819105015
$171.99

$602.95 Subtotal
+ $26.06 3 day shipping

= $629.01 Total
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 7 at 20:00 UTC
aaronjer
*****'n Admin

Comrade General 5-Star
2005 Mar 21 • 5217
1,227 ₧
Yeah, I knew it was a joke, but you STILL covered the basic stuff everyone knows in the process. Wait... is FDR ram new?
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 9 at 00:47 UTC
Zarathustra
Monotheist

2005 May 1 • 315
167 ₧
I
Thus spoke Zarathustra.
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 10 at 20:45 UTC
aaronjer
*****'n Admin

Comrade General 5-Star
2005 Mar 21 • 5217
1,227 ₧
Finally ordered it today. I made a few changes and additions to your suggestion but it was a good start. The type of RAM you mentioned was out of stock AND worse than other RAM I could afford. Also, there was a much better processor for like 9 dollars more, it was 2.2 instead and basically the same everywhere else. It was AM2 so I'm pretty sure it will fit...
 
 
 
≡ 2006 Nov 20 at 21:30 UTC
Page [1]