Laptop

Laptop

Vidja Games — Page [1]
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
So I'm buying a new laptop, mainly for my upcoming 3-7 years at the School of Informatics and School of Mathematics, but also for games'n'stuff.

So I need it to be able to handle 3D modelling software, 3D graph creators, etc., and also of course most of the recent games.

I have no idea what hardware to look for though, I'm especially clueless in the graphic card and processor areas. I was for example looking at this model:
http://www.enaa.com/oddelki/racunalnistvo/izd_3286_avt099819_hp_probook_4520s_i5-480m_vga_
(Yes, I know it's in Slovenian, but I'm sure you can understand most of the important hardware stuff).
How's Intel's Core i5? Core i7 seems to be a lot more expensive.
Also this one has an Ati card, and I've had quite a lot of problems in the past with their video cards. Also I got a comment on another forum that an nvidia card would be a necessity for my needs.

Any suggestions on what to buy?
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2011 Apr 23 at 11:54 PDT — Ed. 2011 Apr 23 at 12:28 PDT
Down Rodeo
Cap'n Moth of the Firehouse

Find the Hole II Participation Medal
2007 Oct 19 • 5486
57,583 ₧
i5 is nice. i7 is *very* nice but as you spotted very expensive. I have an ATi 4500 series card and an Intel processor of some sort... 2 GHz something or other. I can run most games. However, it doesn't run them very well any more! So if you can get anything from the 5000 series of ATi then you ought to be OK. I don't really know what stuff nVidia have for mobility, I only know about their most recent desktop cards.

So yes, i5 would be absolutely fine :)
 
 
2011 Apr 23 at 13:23 PDT
Down Rodeo
Cap'n Moth of the Firehouse

Find the Hole II Participation Medal
2007 Oct 19 • 5486
57,583 ₧
That graphics card isn't amazing. I'd maybe look at something better. (I just looked it up.)
 
 
2011 Apr 23 at 13:25 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
Down Rodeo said:
i5 is nice. i7 is *very* nice but as you spotted very expensive. I have an ATi 4500 series card and an Intel processor of some sort... 2 GHz something or other. I can run most games. However, it doesn't run them very well any more! So if you can get anything from the 5000 series of ATi then you ought to be OK. I don't really know what stuff nVidia have for mobility, I only know about their most recent desktop cards.

So yes, i5 would be absolutely fine :)

That graphics card isn't amazing. I'd maybe look at something better. (I just looked it up.)

Yeah, that one was pretty overpriced for its specs.

So basically, i5 is fine, i7 would be better, is what you're saying.
nVidia has the 460m, which is receiving a lot of praise on the interwebz. Also the 485m, but that one isn't available on a lot of laptops yet.

Someone found me this model, but it's in the US:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027&cmre=asusi7--34-230-027--Product
That's ~800€, which in my opinion is a pretty good deal for that laptop.

Now I just have to find one closer to me, or I'll have to have it shipped from USA.
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2011 Apr 24 at 02:29 PDT — Ed. 2011 Apr 24 at 02:30 PDT
Down Rodeo
Cap'n Moth of the Firehouse

Find the Hole II Participation Medal
2007 Oct 19 • 5486
57,583 ₧
 
 
2011 Apr 24 at 03:47 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
In my opinion, the i7 isn't worth what you pay for it. I think you'd be better off going for something like this: link
 
 
2011 Apr 24 at 16:46 PDT
the_cloud_system
polly pushy pants

2008 Aug 1 • 3074
-6 ₧
Rockbomb said:
In my opinion, the i7 isn't worth what you pay for it. I think you'd be better off going for something like this: link



i approved
I drink to forget but I always remember.
 
 
2011 Apr 24 at 23:33 PDT
Sloth

2008 May 18 • 543
I had a rough time finding the perfect laptop, I wanted it to fit for watching movies, which is Storage & processor. I wanted to play some games, Minecraft, Starcraft, Portal etc. And I wanted to have a laptop to study on. I browsed alot and found a perfect combination (almost)
The Hewlett Packard DV60000,
I went to a computer store and bought it for Approx. 600$ ( I live in Denmark, in DKK it's 4500,- But it was a sale day and I had a gift card) I went home spended alot of time setting everything up, anti-virus, personal settings, Getting rid of preinstalled shit etc.

I installed all my games and went happy. Until.............


I plugged my gamermouse into the laptop, and I saw that it worked super. Now usually I don't unplug my usb's so I just Shut down the pc. Completely. And went to do some other stuff. I returned and pressed the start up button. All LED lights went on and i could her the fan working. Uh-oh The screen never responded, it remained black. Thats when I went googling. This PC has alot of bugs. HP failed completely it works perfectly when you got it started up, but it has some physical bugs. If you plug a internet-cabel into it, you wont be able to pull it out unless you use a knife etc. to lever it out.

Theres many versions of the DV6, my brother has a thicker more expensive one. And i have the cheapest and thinnest one.

the Dv6 Series is bugged, but good and reasonable.


I haven't checked if theres a latest fix..

I forgot my conclusion but I g2g.



 
 
2011 Apr 25 at 10:10 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
One of them showed some horrible green scaly reptilian figure Sloth ranting and raving about the Single Transferable Vote system Laptop. It was hard to tell whether he was for or against it, but he clearly felt very strongly about it.
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2011 Apr 25 at 10:20 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Sloths are neither green,nor scaly... just saiyan
 
 
2011 Apr 25 at 10:27 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
Anyone have any experience with MSI's laptops? I'm thinking of getting the gt680r.
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2011 May 19 at 13:46 PDT — Ed. 2011 May 19 at 13:46 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Mate de Vita said:
Anyone have any experience with MSI's laptops? I'm thinking of getting the gt680r.

Honestly, once you get up into that price range, I don't think the brand really matters. I just looked at the specs, and they're pretty nice, I think you would be happy with it.

Is it mandatory that you get a laptop though? Cuz for the same price, you could build a desktop that's ridiculous.
 
 
2011 May 19 at 13:52 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
Rockbomb said:
Mate de Vita said:
Anyone have any experience with MSI's laptops? I'm thinking of getting the gt680r.

Honestly, once you get up into that price range, I don't think the brand really matters. I just looked at the specs, and they're pretty nice, I think you would be happy with it.

Is it mandatory that you get a laptop though? Cuz for the same price, you could build a desktop that's ridiculous.

Well, it would be impractical, because I'll need to do a lot of computer work at school, and then I'd have to constantly transfer files and programs from the school's computer to my home desk computer.
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2011 May 19 at 14:03 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Mate de Vita said:
Rockbomb said:
Mate de Vita said:
Anyone have any experience with MSI's laptops? I'm thinking of getting the gt680r.

Honestly, once you get up into that price range, I don't think the brand really matters. I just looked at the specs, and they're pretty nice, I think you would be happy with it.

Is it mandatory that you get a laptop though? Cuz for the same price, you could build a desktop that's ridiculous.

Well, it would be impractical, because I'll need to do a lot of computer work at school, and then I'd have to constantly transfer files and programs from the school's computer to my home desk computer.

Ah, school... then go with the laptop for sure :D
I just figured I'd mention it, cuz for some reason a lot of people will buy a laptop, and then never take it anywhere, so they could have spent the money on an even better desktop :P

But, I think you'll like MSI you mentioned. I looked at some of the reviews, and the one thing most people were complaining about was that the keyboard doesn't light up xD
There were a couple people who said the wireless card on it was kinda weak though, so if you're planning on using wifi a lot, you might wanna look into that.
 
 
2011 May 19 at 16:01 PDT
Page [1]