Private Maps

Private Maps

Hammer Mapping — Page [1]
turnip1

2009 Jan 20 • 139
I was wondering if anyone on here knows how to make a map private so that no one is able to decompile it and claim it for themselves?
phoenix_r said:
Hey guyz u liek mai new SIG?!
 
 
2010 May 3 at 20:57 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Ok, this is what you need to do...
Save your map to a floppy diskette (or whatever those round things are you kids use these days), and put it into an envelope. Go to your local post office and put a stamp on it, and make sure they stamp it with the date. Mail the envelope to yourself.
Now, if anyone steals your map, you can take them to court and bring the envelope with you. Present the envelope as evidence, and it will prove that you were the original owner/creator of said map, and you will win the case.
Wasn't being serious, but this is actually really good advice if you ever have a cool idea that you don't want anyone to steal and copyright before you get the chance to.

Edit:
Down Rodeo said:

Look, why do you want people to play this map on one server only? Besides, you're also placing quite a lot on people *liking* your map enough. You've just started, I can't see it being that likely.

 
 
2010 May 3 at 21:18 PDT — Ed. 2010 May 3 at 21:24 PDT
Down Rodeo
Cap'n Moth of the Firehouse

Find the Hole II Participation Medal
2007 Oct 19 • 5486
57,583 ₧
 
 
2010 May 4 at 02:47 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Down Rodeo said:
Ah, me being a dick, good times.

You know what they say, you are what you eat
 
 
2010 May 4 at 06:50 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
Rockbomb said:
Ok, this is what you need to do...
Save your map to a floppy diskette (or whatever those round things are you kids use these days), and put it into an envelope. Go to your local post office and put a stamp on it, and make sure they stamp it with the date. Mail the envelope to yourself.
Now, if anyone steals your map, you can take them to court and bring the envelope with you. Present the envelope as evidence, and it will prove that you were the original owner/creator of said map, and you will win the case.
Wasn't being serious, but this is actually really good advice if you ever have a cool idea that you don't want anyone to steal and copyright before you get the chance to.

Hmm.. but how do you prove that you really mailed whatever it was you want copyrights for, not just some of your pubicare?
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 10:08 PDT
sprinkles

Chrome Whore
2009 Sep 6 • 2547
10 ₧
turnip1 said:
I was wondering if anyone on here knows how to make a map private so that no one is able to decompile it and claim it for themselves?


Yeah, I am the first one to quote the guy who has a problem.

Oh, and I can't help you out.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 10:16 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Mate de Vita said:
Rockbomb said:
Ok, this is what you need to do...
Save your map to a floppy diskette (or whatever those round things are you kids use these days), and put it into an envelope. Go to your local post office and put a stamp on it, and make sure they stamp it with the date. Mail the envelope to yourself.
Now, if anyone steals your map, you can take them to court and bring the envelope with you. Present the envelope as evidence, and it will prove that you were the original owner/creator of said map, and you will win the case.
Wasn't being serious, but this is actually really good advice if you ever have a cool idea that you don't want anyone to steal and copyright before you get the chance to.

Hmm.. but how do you prove that you really mailed whatever it was you want copyrights for, not just some of your pubicare?

Idk what pubicare means (sounds like pubic hair to me), but anyway the post-office stamps all the mail with the date on it. And then it also becomes federal property while they are in possession of it, so its pretty good proof that you actually mailed it to yourself on that date.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 10:18 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
Rockbomb said:
Mate de Vita said:
Rockbomb said:
Ok, this is what you need to do...
Save your map to a floppy diskette (or whatever those round things are you kids use these days), and put it into an envelope. Go to your local post office and put a stamp on it, and make sure they stamp it with the date. Mail the envelope to yourself.
Now, if anyone steals your map, you can take them to court and bring the envelope with you. Present the envelope as evidence, and it will prove that you were the original owner/creator of said map, and you will win the case.
Wasn't being serious, but this is actually really good advice if you ever have a cool idea that you don't want anyone to steal and copyright before you get the chance to.

Hmm.. but how do you prove that you really mailed whatever it was you want copyrights for, not just some of your pubicare?

Idk what pubicare means (sounds like pubic hair to me), but anyway the post-office stamps all the mail with the date on it. And then it also becomes federal property while they are in possession of it, so its pretty good proof that you actually mailed it to yourself on that date.

I know but how do you prove that what you mailed was really what you claim it was? I doubt that the post-office writes the contents on the envelope, at least they don't here in Soviet Russia.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pubicare

@OP, nobody is going to steal your map.
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 10:49 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Mate de Vita said:
Rockbomb said:
Mate de Vita said:
Rockbomb said:
Ok, this is what you need to do...
Save your map to a floppy diskette (or whatever those round things are you kids use these days), and put it into an envelope. Go to your local post office and put a stamp on it, and make sure they stamp it with the date. Mail the envelope to yourself.
Now, if anyone steals your map, you can take them to court and bring the envelope with you. Present the envelope as evidence, and it will prove that you were the original owner/creator of said map, and you will win the case.
Wasn't being serious, but this is actually really good advice if you ever have a cool idea that you don't want anyone to steal and copyright before you get the chance to.

Hmm.. but how do you prove that you really mailed whatever it was you want copyrights for, not just some of your pubicare?

Idk what pubicare means (sounds like pubic hair to me), but anyway the post-office stamps all the mail with the date on it. And then it also becomes federal property while they are in possession of it, so its pretty good proof that you actually mailed it to yourself on that date.

I know but how do you prove that what you mailed was really what you claim it was? I doubt that the post-office writes the contents on the envelope, at least they don't here in Soviet Russia.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pubicare

@OP, nobody is going to steal your map.


Well it can't be all that incredibly difficult to open the envelope. I'd say that should be an efficient way of seeing whats inside
Once you've submitted it to the court unopened as evidence, they will see that its still in a sealed envelope. Then they can open it up and take a look at whats inside.
Then if you have someone else after the case that tries and steal it, you have a previous case that proves you were the original owner of the idea.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 10:55 PDT
Down Rodeo
Cap'n Moth of the Firehouse

Find the Hole II Participation Medal
2007 Oct 19 • 5486
57,583 ₧
 
 
2010 May 4 at 11:01 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
Down Rodeo said:
In Soviet Russia, patent protects you?

In Soviet Russia, things misread you.
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 11:58 PDT — Ed. 2010 May 4 at 23:49 PDT
Rockbomb
Dog fucker (but in a good way now)

2009 Nov 13 • 2045
Down Rodeo said:
In Soviet Russia, patent protects you?

Patent protects you anywhere you go... in Soviet Russia, you protect patent.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 13:07 PDT
the_cloud_system
polly pushy pants

2008 Aug 1 • 3070
-6 ₧
i lold
I drink to forget but I always remember.
 
 
2010 May 4 at 16:24 PDT
SRAW
Rocket Man

2007 Nov 6 • 2525
601 ₧
In soviet russian nothing protects you, and it's made worse if you have ties with comrade stalin
Free Steam Games
 
 
2010 May 5 at 01:16 PDT
turnip1

2009 Jan 20 • 139
SO I take it that no one on superjer actually knows how to do this?
phoenix_r said:
Hey guyz u liek mai new SIG?!
 
 
2010 May 7 at 23:32 PDT
SRAW
Rocket Man

2007 Nov 6 • 2525
601 ₧
turnip1 said:
SO I take it that no one on superjer actually knows how to do this?


Your friend google is waiting for you, and if you can't find it there, then most probably you can't(infact I would estimate that there is a 99.9999% chance that no one can do it).
Free Steam Games
 
 
2010 May 8 at 03:52 PDT — Ed. 2010 May 8 at 03:54 PDT
Down Rodeo
Cap'n Moth of the Firehouse

Find the Hole II Participation Medal
2007 Oct 19 • 5486
57,583 ₧
It's like putting copy protection on music. Sure, you're protecting the file, but you have given the user the data, they will have some way of getting it even if you don't want them to. Hell, they could even copy it by eyeballing, you know?
 
 
2010 May 8 at 04:55 PDT
SuperJer
Websiteman

2005 Mar 20 • 6239
Here's how:

Never let anyone else play your map.

That's the only way to copy protect music and movies. Same goes for maps.
 
 
2010 May 10 at 17:37 PDT — Ed. 2010 May 10 at 17:37 PDT
buq25

2008 Jul 5 • 572
295 ₧
superjer said:
Here's how:

Never let anyone else play your map.

That's the only way to copy protect music and movies. Same goes for maps.


Then the real f***ers are going to hack your computer like in those Hollywood movies, just to screw wit'cha.
Today's post brought to you by the letter: "heck".
 
 
2010 May 12 at 07:58 PDT
Mate de Vita
Kelli

2008 Oct 4 • 2453
159 ₧
buq25 said:
superjer said:
Here's how:

Never let anyone else play your map.

That's the only way to copy protect music and movies. Same goes for maps.


Then the real f***ers are going to hack your computer like in those Hollywood movies, just to screw wit'cha.

Don't connect to the internet, silly.
...and that's the bottom line because Mate de Vita said so.
 
 
2010 May 12 at 08:42 PDT
SRAW
Rocket Man

2007 Nov 6 • 2525
601 ₧
Sick vid
Free Steam Games
 
 
2010 May 12 at 23:45 PDT — Ed. 2010 May 12 at 23:45 PDT
Outcast
My points value is a hilarious example of numerical humor.

2009 Dec 13 • 551
80,085 ₧
Mate de Vita said:
buq25 said:
superjer said:
Here's how:

Never let anyone else play your map.

That's the only way to copy protect music and movies. Same goes for maps.


Then the real f***ers are going to hack your computer like in those Hollywood movies, just to screw wit'cha.

Don't connect to the internet, silly.


hahahah
 
 
2010 May 17 at 10:47 PDT
Page [1]